EICR (PIR) – Electrical Safety Check
As recommended by the National Caravan Council and the Electrical Safety Council and as part of our ongoing commitment to ensure your safety we offer the EICRservice to our customers with caravans or motorhomes over three years old.
What is a periodic inspection?
A Periodic Inspection is an inspection on the condition of an existing electrical installation, to identify (in order of priority) any deficiencies against the national safety standard for electrical installations. A periodic inspection will:
- Reveal if any of your electrical circuits or equipment is overloaded.
- Find any potential electric shock risks and fire hazards in your electrical installation.
- Identify any defective DIY electrical work.
- Highlight any lack of earthing or bonding.
Tests are also carried out on wiring and associated fixed electrical equipment to check that it is safe.
Why is a periodic inspection needed?
Every electrical installation deteriorates with use and age. It is important that the person responsible for the maintenance of the installation be sure that the safety of users is not put at risk, and that the installation continues to be in a safe and serviceable condition.
It is recommended that periodic inspection and testing is carried out on your caravan or motorhome at least every 3 years.
What happens during a periodic inspection?
The periodic inspection will take into account all relevant circumstances including the following factors:
- Adequacy of earthing and bonding.
- Suitability of the switchgear e.g. consumer unit.
- Serviceability of equipment e.g. switches, socket-outlets and lights.
- Type of wiring system and its condition.
- Presence of adequate identification and notices.
- Extent of any wear and tear, damage or other deterioration.
We will provide a Periodic Inspection Report (PIR) as part of the periodic inspection. A Periodic Inspection Report (PIR) is a formal method of recording the findings of the Periodic Inspection. The main purpose of a PIR is to report on the safety condition of an existing installation in your caravan or motorhome.